In the 1860s Herbert Barrett and family moved between Stoke Newington, (North London), and Southampton, eventually settling in Southampton around 1870. The 1871 census (taken in April of that year) recorded Herbert Barrett, Photographer, his wife Annie and 3 children in Stoke Newington. The eldest daughter had been born in Southampton in 1866, and the 2 younger children were born in North London. The Southampton directory of 1871 advertised the photography studio of Rider and Barrett at 16 Bernard Street. (see entry for Archibald Griffin Rider)
1871 Cox's Directory
Barrett and Rider took over the studio at 11 Prospect Place in the early 1870s and traded from Bernard St and Prospect Place.(For 11 Prospect Place see entries for W G Smith, J F Sharpe and A Winterbon).
Advertisement in Tucker's Directory 1874
Barrett's partnership with Rider lasted until 1874, when notice of the dissolution of the partnership was published in the London Gazette on May 29th. The terms were that Rider was to carry on his business at 16 Bernard St, and Barrett was sole proprietor of the studio in Prospect Place.
Carte de visite 1870s
Carte de visite c 1874
1876 Cox's directory, listing Barrett and Rider as separate businesses
Carte de visite late 1870s
In 1881 Barrett employed 2 assistants at the Prospect Place studio, and his family were living on the premises. A decade later the studio had extended into number 12 next door.
Cabinet Card 1890s
Some time after 1895 the Barrett family and the studio moved to New Place, Bedford Place. Herbert Barrett died in a London hospital in 1897. After Herbert died his son Thomas Barrett took over the studio. Another son, William Barrett, was a photographer at 43 East St, trading as W.R Vandyke from 1891. In 1900 and 1903 a Mrs Annie Barrett was listed as a photographer at 3a Bedford Place in the Kellys Directory. The 1901 census recorded Thomas Barrett, photographer, living with his mother in Bedford Place. Annie Barrett did not give an occupation for the census although the business was advertised in her name. By 1911 the family had left New Place and were running an apartment house in Carlton Place.