Active in Southampton at various times between 1841 and 1848
John Frederick Goddard was a member of The Society of Arts, the British Association for the Advancement of Science, The Microscopial Society and a lecturer at various other Institutions. The 1841 census recorded him as a lecturer, lodging in Fitzroy Square London, with artist John Carter and his family.
The first photographic studio in Southampton was advertised in 1841, and opened in early 1842. It was run by George Smith, but by later in the year the rooftop glass house was taken over by Goddard.
'The Photographic Institution' was a purpose built structure in Portland Terrace, near the end of Ogle St, making use of the light reflected from the sea below. Southampton Water was considerably wider in the nineteenth century before land reclamation, and the sea came up to the Western Esplanade and the old sea walls. In April 1842 the Hampshire Independent newspaper advertised a public demonstration of the use of Photographic and Daguerreotype Apparatus by The Photographic Institution, without naming who was the demonstrator. In September 1842 another newspaper advertisement named J.F Goddard as the lecturer at a further demonstration at the Portland Terrace Photographic Institute. Goddard was also named as the sole proprietor of a licence to use the daguerreotype process in Southampton, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
In the previous 2 years Goddard lectured on Optical Science, and was employed by John Beard (the sole owner of the licence to make Daguerreotypes in England) to work on the chemical processes involved in taking daguerreotypes, making improvements which reduced the sitting time. These developments made daguerreotype portraits a commercial possibility.
The 1843 Southampton Directory listed J.F. Goddard and the Photographic Institution in Portland Terrace. Throughout most of the 1840s Goddard lectured in London and continued to take Daguerreotype portraits in Southampton. In 1844 Goddard and a Mr Mullins gave a demonstration in a purpose built glass house Pier St, Ryde on the Isle of Wight.
In 1847 The Photographic Institution moved from Portland Terrace to 48 Above Bar for a brief time. Later in the same year the Institution was at 180 High Street, at C and J Rayner's Library, Reading Rooms and News Room, where Goddard worked with Alfred Barber. In 1848 The Institution was still advertising at the same address, but Goddard's name was not included. The following year George Marks had taken over the studio at 180 High Street.
The 1851 census recorded John F Goddard as one of 4 visitors lodging with a family in Plymouth. Goddard gave his profession as 'none'. The date and place of birth given exactly match the last census record for J F Goddard in 1861. Goddard was living at St Joseph Almshouse in Hammersmith, his former occupation was given as Lecturer in Experimental Philosophy. Goddard had fallen on difficult times and hearing of his predicament, prominent photographers set up a trust fund to support him. Before he could benefit from the fund he died in 1866 leaving effects worth under £20.
It seems that his contribution to the history of Photography in Southampton was not forgotten, as a few years later Adams and Stilliard began trading independently from Samuel Wiseman as The South of England Photographic Institution.
Turley, R. (2001).Isle of Wight Photographers 1840-1940. Southampton: University of Southampton Libraries.
Heathcote, B. and Heathcote, P. (2002) ‘A faithful likeness: The First photographic portrait studios in the British Isles, 1841 to 1855’. London, United Kingdom: Heathcote.
Basiccarpentrytechniques.com. (2017). The Project Gutenberg eBook of The Evolution of Photography , by John Werge. [online] Available at: http://www.basiccarpentrytechniques.com/Photography/The%20Evolution%20of%20Photography/38866-h.htm#Page_27