J. Need was born John Need, but was also known as James Need. In 1851 he worked in Chichester as an assistant to his father, a pawnbroker. Need gave his occupation as photographer for the 1861 census, when he was recorded living in Godalming Surrey. Need married in Southampton in 1864 and the James Need Photographic Establishment was listed at 180 High Street in the 1865 Bennett Directory. Need was the last of a series of photographers who worked from 180 High Street, close to the Bargate on the West side of the street. In 1847 John Goddard's Photographic Institution was based at 180, followed by George Marks in 1849, Professor Leslie in 1851, James Smythe in 1859, and James Russell in 1863.
Carte de visite 1864 - 1867
Need was listed as a photographer at 180 High Street in the 1867 Gutch Southampton Directory, after which time no further trace of him has been found.
Carte de visite 1864 - 1867, mounted on higher quality card than previous examples.