John James Jones' Southampton studio was at 1 Kingsfield Cottages, West Marlands. The 2 Kingsfield Cottages were at the top of the hill, near to where the large office block opposite the Marlands shopping centre stands today. In the nineteenth century the sea came up as far as the railway tracks at Southampton West Station (now the Central Station) at the bottom of the hill, and Dibden Bay was still a bay, so the views would have been across a wide stretch of sea to Dibden, Hythe and the New Forest.
Jones lived the early part of his life in Norfolk. He married in 1845 in Lambeth, London, and gave his occupation as milliner for the 1851 census. Jones lived in South East London until the mid 1860s. In 1861 his occupation was given as photographer, in Southwark.
The Southampton Trade directory for 1867 listed JJ Jones, photographer, at Kingsfield for the first time. Jones' occupation was given as Artist Photographer for the 1871 census. The cottages were next door to the Marlands Savings Bank. By the time of the 1881 census the Kingsfield Congregational Chapel had been built between the cottages and the bank. Jones was recorded as a Marine Artist, living with his wife and one servant.
Jones did not appear to advertise as a photographer after 1876, and no trace of him has been found after the 1881 census. In 1884 a Mrs Jones was listed in the directory in Commercial Road, nearby to Kingsfield Cottage.