The first photographic studio in Southampton was opened by George Smith, working from a roof top glass house in Portland Terrace in early 1842. Later that year the the purpose built structure was taken over by John Goddard.
The site of the first photographic studio in Southampton. The rooftop glass house was on the corner of portland Terrace and Ogle St, to the right of photo. In 1842 the sea came up the bottom of the hill on the left behind the trees and car wash sign. (Image: Google street view 2015)
Heathcote, B. and Heathcote, P. (2002) ‘A faithful likeness: The First photographic portrait studios in the British Isles, 1841 to 1855’. London, United Kingdom:Heathcote.